AACR Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Awards
Applications for the 2017 AACR Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Awards are now open.
Deadline: Dec. 9, 2016
The AACR Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Awards are offered to eligible minority scientists wishing to participate in Annual Meetings and special conferences of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR).
Congratulations to the 2016 Minority Scholars in Cancer Research.
- Candidates must be full-time graduate students, medical students, residents, or clinical or postdoctoral fellows.
- Only minority groups that have been defined by the National Cancer Institute as being traditionally underrepresented in cancer and biomedical research are eligible for this award: African-Americans, Alaskan Natives, Hispanics, Native Americans and Native Pacific Islanders.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada.
- Candidates must be the presenters of meritorious abstracts at the AACR Annual Meeting or special conferences.
- Candidates need not be members of the AACR to apply for this award.
AACR Annual Meeting 2017
AACR Annual Meeting 2017 complimentary registration or registration reimbursement will be provided to all awardees. Financial support in the amount of $1,500 will be provided to support expenses such as travel, accommodations, and meals for participation in the AACR Annual Meeting 2016. If an awardee is unable to attend the meeting for which the award is given, the award must be forfeited.
Award applications for participation in the AACR Annual Meeting 2017 are now available. Apply online by logging into myAACR, clicking on "Applications/Awards," and choosing this award from the menu.
AACR Special Conferences
AACR special conference complimentary registration or registration reimbursement will be provided to all awardees. A stipend to support participation in the selected AACR special conference will be distributed to awardees for expenses such as travel, accommodations, and meals. If an awardee is unable to attend the meeting for which the award is given, the award must be forfeited.
Award applications for participation in an AACR special conference:
deadline and application form for applying for a Minority Scholar Award for participation in an AACR special conference is listed in each conference brochure on the Financial Support for Attendance page.
- Please also review carefully the abstract submission deadline for the conference you are interested in attending. Usually the award application and the abstract are due on the same day, and these are separate processes.
AACR special conferences on focused topics in cancer research have gained wide recognition as unique opportunities for in-depth discussion of important scientific issues in attractive, informal resort environments.
How to Apply
Complete the application by logging into myAACR and include the required application materials. Complete applications must be submitted on or before the application deadline.
Required Application Materials:
- Application Form/Online Application. Provide all information requested. The applicant must list one mentor in a faculty capacity (i.e. department head, advisor, etc.) at their institution who could certify the information in the application upon request.
- Personal statement written by the candidate (no longer than two pages in length) describing the benefit he/she expects to derive from attending the conference and the reasons for the candidate's interest in the conference.
- Two letters of reference from faculty members from the applicant's institution or an institution that the applicant has attended. The letters should be addressed to the Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Awards Committee, and should comment on the applicant's academic and personal qualifications for this award. Letters of recommendation should always be on letterhead with visible signatures.
- A copy of the abstract submitted for presentation at the meeting. Candidates must indicate the temporary abstract number.
- Curriculum vitae, including a complete bibliography (list of publications).
Awardees will be selected on the basis of their qualifications, references from mentors, abstract, and an estimation of the potential professional benefit to the awardees.
An advisory committee consisting of senior members of AACR Minorities in Cancer Research (MICR) carefully reviews applications. Please note that when reviewing applications, the Award Selection Committee will also strongly consider the following factors:
Candidates who are presenters of an abstract submitted for presentation at the meeting;
First-time applicants; and
- Financial need for travel funds.
Please keep in mind that because of these factors the total number of awards given to any one applicant will be restricted.
Award Conditions and Reporting
In addition to scientific sessions, awardees must attend all special events organized for them.
Awardees must submit a written report commenting on the scientific sessions that they attended and the Minority Scholar Award Program.
According to IRS regulations, the award is subject to federal income tax. Award recipients will receive additional related information.
Generously supported by the AACR and National Cancer Institute's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities
The National Cancer Institute's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities provides opportunities and support for research training and career development of minorities and for involving minority institutions in cancer research, research training, education, and outreach.
Please note that this award, although funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), is administered by American Association for Cancer Research. All communications must go through AACR and not the NCI. Therefore, should you have any questions regarding the status of awards, deadlines, and award requirements, please contact AACR at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-440-9300.
AACR Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Awards
American Association for Cancer Research
615 Chestnut Street, 17th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19106-4404