The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) is extremely pleased to announce the availability of Scholar Awards in Cancer Research for full-time faculty members of Minority-Serving Institutions (Historically Black Colleges and Universities, Hispanic Serving Institutions, and other Minority Institutions as defined by the US Department of Education). The purposes of this award program are to increase the scientific knowledge base of faculty members at Minority-Serving Institutions, and to encourage them and their students to pursue careers in cancer research.
AACR Minority-Serving Institution Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Awards are presented by the American Association for Cancer Research to scientists at the level of assistant professor or above at a Minority-Serving Institution, who are engaged in meritorious basic, clinical, or translational cancer research.
Congratulations to the 2014 Minority-Serving Institution Faculty Scholars in Cancer Research
- Candidates must have completed doctoral studies or clinical fellowships and hold full-time faculty status at an institution designated as a Minority-Serving Institution.
- Candidates must have acquired doctoral degrees in fields relevant to cancer research.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada.
- Candidates need not be members of the AACR to apply for this award.
AACR Annual Meeting 2015
AACR Annual Meeting 2015 complimentary registration or registration reimbursement will be provided to all awardees. A stipend to support participation in the AACR Annual Meeting 2015 will be distributed to awardees for expenses such as travel, accommodations, and meals. If an awardee is unable to attend the meeting for which the award is given, the award must be forfeited.
Award applications for participation in the AACR Annual Meeting 2015:
- Application available: fall 2014
- Application deadline: December 2014
- Notification of award: early February 2015
AACR Special Conferences
AACR Special Conference complimentary registration or registration reimbursement will be provided to all awardees. A stipend to support participation in the selected AACR Special Conference will be distributed to awardees for expenses such as travel, accommodations, and meals. If an awardee is unable to attend the meeting for which the award is given, the award must be forfeited.
Award applications for participation in an AACR Special Conference:
AACR Special Conferences on focused topics in cancer research have gained wide recognition as unique opportunities for in-depth discussion of important scientific issues in attractive, informal resort environments.
How to Apply
Complete the application and include the required application materials. Complete applications must be submitted on or before the application deadline.
Required Application Materials:
- Official Application Form/Online Application. Provide all information requested. The applicant must list one mentor in a supervisory capacity (i.e. dean, department head, etc.) at the candidate's institution who could certify the information in the application upon request.
- Personal Statement written by the candidate (no longer than two pages in length) describing the benefit he/she expects to derive from attending the conference and the reasons for the candidate's interest in the conference.
- One Letter of Reference from a faculty member in a supervisory role at the applicant's institution. The letter should be addressed to the MSI Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Awards Committee, and should comment on the applicant's academic and personal qualifications for this award. Letter of Recommendation should be on letterhead with visible signature.
- A Copy of the Abstract submitted for presentation at the meeting (if applicable). If an abstract has been submitted, candidates must indicate the temporary abstract number.
- Curriculum Vitae, including a complete bibliography (list of publications).
Awardees will be selected on the basis of their qualifications, references from mentor, abstracts, and an estimation of the potential professional benefit to the awardees.
An advisory committee consisting of senior members of AAC Minorities in Cancer Research (MICR) carefully reviews applications. Please note that when reviewing applications, the Award Selection Committee will also strongly consider the following factors:
- candidates who are presenters of an abstract submitted for presentation at the meeting (or who have students presenting an abstract on which the candidate is an author)
- first time applicants
- financial need for travel funds
Please keep in mind that because of these factors the total number of awards given to any one applicant will be restricted.
Award Conditions and Reporting
- In addition to scientific sessions, awardees must attend all special events organized for them.
- Awardees must submit a written report commenting on the scientific sessions that they attended and the MSI Faculty Scholar Award Program.
- According to IRS regulations, the award is subject to federal income tax. Award recipients will receive additional related information.
AACR Minority-Serving Institution Faculty Scholar in Cancer Research Awards
American Association for Cancer Research
615 Chestnut Street, 17th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19106-4404
Telephone: (215) 440-9300
Fax: (215) 440-9412
Generously supported by the National Cancer Institute's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities
The National Cancer Institute's Center to Reduce Cancer Health Disparities provides opportunities and support for research training and career development of minorities and for involving minority institutions in cancer research, research training, education, and outreach.
Please note that this award, although funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), is administered by American Association for Cancer Research (AACR). All communications must go through AACR and not the NCI. Therefore, should you have any questions regarding the status of awards, deadlines, and award requirements, please contact AACR at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-440-9300.