African Cancer Researchers Travel Awards
The AACR is pleased to offer the African Cancer Researchers Travel Award to eligible early-career investigators in Africa wishing to participate in the AACR Annual Meeting. These awards are intended to enhance the education and training of African scientists engaged in basic, clinical, translational, or epidemiological cancer research.
Congratulations to the 2017 award recipients.
Applications for African Cancer Researchers Travel Awards will be accepted until Dec. 8, 2017. To apply, applicants must first submit their abstract
, and then complete an African Cancer Researchers Travel Award Application. The application is available under the "Awards/Applications" tab on myAACR
. Applicants who do not have a myAACR account must create one to complete an application. Applicants who have difficulty meeting the abstract fee or sponsor requirement may contact ACRTA@aacr.org
Applicants will be asked to submit their abstract control number, CV (including a list of publications), and a short personal statement (125 words or less) describing their research area and interests, current work setting, reasons for attending the Annual Meeting, and career aspirations.
- Applicants must be the first author and presenter of an abstract submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- Applicants must be full-time graduate students currently engaged in their doctoral research, residents, clinical or postdoctoral fellows, or early-career investigators (within 15 years of doctoral-level degree conferral at the time of application).
- Applicants are not required to be members of the AACR to apply for this award.
- Applicants must be proficient in English (writing and speaking).
- Applicants must not have been a previous recipient of this award.
- Applicants cannot be employees or subcontractors of for-profit private industry.
- Applicants may apply for other travel awards, but may not receive more than one award from the AACR to attend the Annual Meeting.
- Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of a country on the African continent. Candidates must reside in a country on the African continent to be eligible for this award. Researchers who are citizens or permanent residents of an African country, but currently employed or pursuing training in a country outside of Africa are not eligible.
Selection of Award Recipients
The African Cancer Researchers Travel Award Committee will make the selection for these competitive awards after careful consideration of the merit of the candidate's abstract, CV, and personal statement. Awardees will be notified by late January 2018 and will receive notification separate from abstract acceptance and scheduling information.
Conditions and Logistics
The African Cancer Researchers Travel Awards are to be used to offset a portion of the travel and subsistence expenses incurred in attending the Annual Meeting. The travel awards include complimentary registration and housing to the Annual Meeting in addition to up to $2,000 towards the cost of travel and meals. Additionally, awardees will be connected with U.S.-based cancer scientists for a short post-meeting mentorship experience.
- Award monies will be bank-wired to award recipients upon receipt of their reimbursement forms post-Annual Meeting. Please note that the AACR is not able to provide award monies to awardees prior to their arrival at the Annual Meeting.
- Award recipients will make their own travel arrangements. Hotel accommodations at a pre-selected hotel are reserved for award recipients and covered by the AACR.
- If an awardee is unable to attend the Annual Meeting, the award must be forfeited. If an awardee cancels his/ her participation at the Annual Meeting, he/she is financially responsible for any costs incurred.
- All awardees are required to participate in an informal interview with AACR staff at the Annual Meeting and to provide structured feedback about the program via an online survey after they return to their home countries.
If you have any questions related to the African Cancer Researchers Travel Awards for the Annual Meeting, contact ACRTA@aacr.org