Minorities in Cancer Research (MICR) is a membership group within the AACR committed to preventing and curing cancer while meeting the professional needs and advancing the careers of minority scientists.
- increasing the number, participation, visibility, and recognition of minority scientists in cancer research;
- developing programs that address the professional needs of minority scientists in cancer research;
- providing diversity in the field and within the AACR's membership, programs, committees, and leadership;
- addressing the disparities in cancer incidence and mortality faced by minorities and the medically underserved;
- advocating for relevant, effective legislation pertaining to science and public policy in consultation with the Science Policy and Legislative Affairs Committee; and
- assuming other such roles as are deemed necessary or appropriate to MICR's mission.
The MICR Council acts as an advisory body to the AACR leadership on issues of concern to minority investigators and is also responsible for organizing the activities of MICR through its committees. The council is made up of 13 members who are elected to serve on the council for three-year terms. The council elects a chairperson and approximately three new council members annually.
There are several opportunities for MICR members to contribute to fulfilling the mission of MICR through committee service. MICR members are strongly encouraged to share their knowledge and expertise by volunteering to:
- Develop Annual Meeting and special conference activities presented by MICR;
- Review award applications and select scholar award recipients;
- Identify and encourage distinguished minority scientists to run for MICR Council positions and other leadership positions throughout AACR; and
- Mentor early-cancer investigators during professional advancement activities.
MICR consists of nearly 4,000 members interested in exploring ways to increase the number, participation, visibility, and recognition of minority scientists in the cancer research field and within AACR. Any AACR member who supports the mission of MICR is welcome to join.
Minorities in Cancer Research
American Association for Cancer Research
615 Chestnut Street, 17th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19016-4404