Associate Director, Communications and Public Relations
Posted: September 17, 2013
Position Title: Associate Director, Communications and Public Relations
Reports to: Director, Communications and Public Relations
Employment Status: Full-time/Exempt
Position Description and Responsibilities
- Implements public relations plans to increase the AACR’s visibility among key audiences, including the cancer survivor and advocacy community, opinion and thought leaders, donors and potential donors, news media, membership, AACR leadership, and the general public.
- Writes and/or edits copy for various communications vehicles (i.e., press releases, speeches, web copy, member communications, eblasts, and other communications and public relations vehicles).
- Manages the communications processes for the AACR grants/awards program and its collaborations, leadership announcements, and various other news content for the AACR.
- Collaborates with internal staff on communications projects; writes, edits, and manages the creation of and review of all announcement press releases; oversees the review and distribution processes with all parties involved; pitches news to the media; coordinates other communications strategies (social media, web communications, etc.) to promote this news.
- Works closely with cancer center PIOs to gather and disseminate information.
- Manages the communications processes for Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) collaborations and announcements.
- Collaborates with SU2C grants department and SU2C communications on projects; writes, edits, and manages the creation of and review of scientific press releases; oversees the review and distribution processes with all parties involved; pitches news to the media; coordinates other communications strategies to promote the news (social media, web communications, etc.); vets and corroborates scientific information.
- Provides communications support and manages public relations plans for campaigns to promote the AACR among the public, such as National Cancer Research Month.
- Manages, assists, and implements the AACR’s media training efforts during meetings and prior to all press conferences.
- Assists with social media communications via LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc. for AACR promotional purposes.
- Staffs press room operations at major AACR meetings; assists with the operations of press conferences and teleconferences.
- Develops and maintains local, national, and international media and press officer contacts. Responds to media relations inquiries as required.
- Manages freelance needs as necessary.
- Assists with AACR video efforts, serving as a videographer, producer, and/or project manager, and writes and/or edits scripts as needed.
- Develops new techniques for mainstreaming communications and P.R. plans and creating effective strategies to coordinate projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, or related field.
- Knowledge of science or medicine a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of communications and writing or editing experience, preferably in the area of medical/scientific communications.
- Excellent editing, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Highly organized ability to multitask and work in a busy environment.
- Project management experience a plus.
- Media relations experience and established contacts in the field are required.
- Social media skills and experience with producing video preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and judgment skills to work with a broad range of individuals and constituencies.
- Experience in dealing with high-profile scientific researchers and celebrities.
- Familiarity with and understanding of medical and scientific terminology.
- Knowledge of new media: podcasts, video, social media.
- Versatility in scripting and speech writing.
- Knowledge of AP style, press release writing, and website writing.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Emotional intelligence essential to thrive in an exciting but demanding workplace.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume (including salary history) to:
P.O. Box 40138
Philadelphia, PA 19106