Unparalleled opportunities now exist to detect, diagnose, prevent and more effectively treat cancer due to the sequencing of the human genome, progress in systems biology and the advancement of computer science and other technologies. Capitalizing on these opportunities often depends on the participation of researchers in specialties that include chemistry, physics, engineering, computational science and nanotechnology. The integration of such specialties into cancer and biomedical research form the bases of interdisciplinary scientific teams.
This award has been established by the American Association for Cancer Research and Eli Lilly and Company to acknowledge and catalyze the growing importance of interdisciplinary teams to the understanding of cancer and/or the translation of research discoveries into clinical cancer applications. Proactive interaction between academic and industry researchers is particularly crucial to continue progress and accelerate drug development.
In addition, through the presentation of this award, the AACR and Eli Lilly seek to affect change within the traditional cancer research culture by recognizing those institutions that value and foster interdisciplinary team science. These institutions will have demonstrated their support of a team science environment by creating mechanisms to enhance the required infrastructure, such as through pilot funding, technology transfer offices, shared resources, etc., and by presenting awards, honors, appointments and promotions to those who participate in interdisciplinary teams.
The AACR Team Science Award will recognize an outstanding interdisciplinary research team for its innovative and meritorious science that has advanced or likely will advance our fundamental knowledge of cancer or a team that has applied existing knowledge to advance the detection, diagnosis, prevention or treatment of cancer.
The team selected to receive the Seventh Annual AACR Team Science Award was collectively awarded a prize of $50,000 and recognized during the AACR Annual Meeting 2013 in Washington, DC, USA (April 6-10, 2013). The representative institutions were cited at the AACR Annual Meeting for their leadership role in fostering team science.
- For the purpose of this award, a team is comprised of independent faculty-level researchers providing complementary interdisciplinary expertise, each of whom have made separate substantive and quantifiable contributions to the research being recognized.
- Team members may be working within the same institution or at several institutions; however, if researchers are in the same institution, they must have clearly separate funding and research space.
- The research to be recognized should reflect work toward a specific scientific goal that otherwise would not be realized by any single component of the team.
- Candidacy is open to all cancer researchers who are affiliated with any institution involved in cancer research, cancer medicine or cancer-related biomedical science anywhere in the world. Such institutions include those in academia, industry or government.
- Teams comprising academic and industry researchers will be accepted.
Nomination Procedure and Instructions
Nominations are closed.
Nominations may be made by any scientist, whether an AACR member or nonmember, who is now or has been affiliated with any institution involved in cancer research, cancer medicine or cancer-related biomedical science.
Nominations of teams will be considered by an Award Selection Committee of international cancer leaders appointed by the president of the AACR. After careful deliberations by the Award Selection Committee, its recommendations will be forwarded to the Executive Committee of the AACR for final consideration and decision. Selection of the Team Science Award winners will be made on the basis of the criteria listed above. No regard will be given to age, race, gender, nationality, geographic location or religious or political views.
Linda Stokes, Program Associate
American Association for Cancer Research
17th Floor, 615 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106-4404