The AACR Biedler Prize was established in 2015 to showcase outstanding examples of cancer journalism, and to recognize individual professional journalists who have produced accurate, informative, and compelling stories with a $5,000 unrestricted cash prize.
The prize is funded by a major bequest to the AACR from June L. Biedler, PhD, a scientist, mentor, and pioneer in cancer research, and former member of the AACR Board of Directors. In honor of Biedler’s exceptional efforts to further science and health care communications, the prize honors and rewards outstanding journalistic coverage that enhances the public’s understanding of cancer, cancer research, cancer advocacy or cancer policy.
A panel of esteemed journalists and communications professors, cancer researchers, and patient advocates judge each prize entry. Past panels have included media professionals who have worked for NBC News, FORTUNE, The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Houston Chronicle, and PBS, among others.
The AACR Biedler Prize is open to print, broadcast, and online professional journalists whose stories appear in media that target a lay public audience. The AACR Biedler Prize consists of six submission categories: large newspaper (circulation over 100,000); small newspaper (circulation under 100,000); magazine; online/multimedia; television; and radio.
The 2019 AACR Biedler Prize recipients were:
- Large newspaper: Jacqueline Charles and José Antonio Iglesias, “Cancer in Haiti,” Miami Herald
- Magazine: Adam Piore, “They Can Now Customize Cancer Treatments, Tumor by Tumor,” MIT Technology Review
- Online/multimedia: Caroline Chen and Riley Wong, "Black Patients Miss Out on Promising Cancer Drugs," ProPublica co-published with STAT News; and Michele Gershberg, "After a Child’s Dire Diagnosis, Hope and Uncertainty at the Frontiers of Medicine,” Reuters.com
- Radio: Rob Stein, "Scientists Race to Improve Living Drugs for Cancer," National Public Radio
- Television: A.J. Lagoe and Jeff Kummer "Radon Roulette," KARE-11/NBC News, Minneapolis
For more information on past recipients, please visit the AACR website
The 2020 AACR Biedler Prize will be presented during the Opening Ceremony at the AACR Annual Meeting
, which will be held from Friday, April 24 through Wednesday, April 29 in San Diego.