AACR Gertrude B. Elion Cancer Research Award
With generous support from GlaxoSmithKline, the AACR Gertrude B. Elion Cancer Research Award represents a joint effort to encourage and support tenure-eligible junior faculty. The research proposed for funding must focus on cancer etiology, diagnosis, treatment, or prevention and may be basic, translational, or clinical in nature.
The award provides a one-year grant of $75,000 for expenses related to the research project, which may include salary and benefits of the grant recipient, postdoctoral or clinical research fellows, graduate students (including tuition costs), and research assistants; research/laboratory supplies; equipment; travel; publication charges for manuscripts that pertain directly to the funded project; and other research expenses.
Please carefully read the Program Guidelines and Application Instructions before submitting an application.
Proposed research projects may focus on any topic related to cancer etiology, diagnosis, treatment, or prevention and may be basic, translational, or clinical in nature.
At the start of the grant term on July 1, 2023, applicants must:
- Applicants must have a doctoral degree (including PhD, MD, MD/PhD, or equivalent) in a related field and not currently be a candidate for a further doctoral degree.
- Hold a tenure-eligible appointment (or equivalent, if institution does not follow a tenure system) at the rank of assistant professor (appointments such as research assistant professor, adjunct assistant professor, assistant professor research track, visiting professor, or instructor are not eligible. Applicants cannot be tenured or under consideration for a tenured academic position at the time of the application. Applicants that have progressed to associate professor appointments are also not eligible.)
- If eligibility is based on a future position, the position must be confirmed at the time of application, and CANNOT be contingent upon receiving this grant.
- If the future position is at a different institution than the applicant’s current institution, the applicant must contact the AACR’s Scientific Review and Grants Administration Department (AACR’s SRGA) at [email protected] before submitting their application for information on additional verification materials/signatures that may be required.
- Have completed their most recent doctoral degree within the past 11 years (i.e., degree cannot have been conferred before July 1, 2012; the formal date of receipt of doctoral degree is the date the degree was conferred, as indicated on their diploma and/or transcript)
- Applicants with a medical degree must have completed their most recent doctoral degree or medical residency (or equivalent) - whichever date is later - within the past 11 years.
- Work at an academic, medical, or research institution anywhere in the world.
There are no citizenship or geographic requirements. However, by submitting an application for this grant, an applicant applying from an institution located in a country in which they are not a citizen, or a permanent resident assures that the visa status will provide sufficient time to complete the project and grant term at the institution from which they applied.
AACR is obligated to comply with U.S. laws and regulations regarding research and related transactions in countries subject to U.S. Government enforcement of economic and trade sanctions for particular foreign policy and national security reasons. If your proposed project involves U.S. Government sanctioned countries subject to restrictions, please contact the AACR.s SRGA at [email protected].
Applicants must be AACR Active members. Nonmembers interested in this grant opportunity must submit a satisfactory application for AACR membership by the application deadline. Nonmembers can apply for membership online. Members can renew their membership through myAACR to bring their membership current. You will need your logon (email address) and password to access the member portal. If you require assistance logging in, please submit a help form. Lapsed members must be members in good standing by the application deadline and should contact the Membership Department at [email protected] for assistance.