AACR-AACI National Day of Action
AACR-AACI Day of Action for Cancer Research Funding
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) and Association of American Cancer Institutes (AACI) are holding a “Day of Action” on June 5th to urge Congress to provide robust and sustained funding for the medical research – and cancer research in particular – that is supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institute (NCI). This Day of Action is being held in conjunction with the AACR-AACI joint Hill Day, which is taking place on Friday, June 5, 2020.Send a message to your Members of Congress NOW!
Here is our message to Congress:
Thank you for making substantial investments in medical research over the last five years, including a $2.6 billion increase in NIH funding for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020. To respond to the current COVID-19 emergency and continue our progress against cancer and other diseases, we urge Congress to do the following:
- Provide at least $10 billion for the NIH in the next COVID-19 supplemental package to restart research, including clinical trials that have been put on hold due to the pandemic.
- Increase funding for the NIH in FY 2021 appropriations to a total of at least $44.7 billion. This reflects an increase of at least $3 billion.
- Increase funding for the NCI to a total of at least $6.9 billion in FY 2021.
There are several easy ways that you can participate and make your voice heard!
1) Join our e-mail campaign, TAKE ACTION!
Use this link to send a message to a message to your Members of Congress about the importance of NIH and NCI funding. You can use our templated message and personalize it if you wish.
2) Send a tweet in support of medical research and tag your Members of Congress. Be sure to use the hashtags #FundNIH, #FundNCI, and #HillDayAtHome. Here are some sample posts:
- I join @AACR and @AACI_Cancer in urging Congress to #FundNIH and #FundNCI. We must continue investing in life-saving research. [Insert your Member’s Twitter handle] please support at least $10 billion for @NIH in the next #COVID-19 supplemental to restart research.
- Medical research saves lives! [Insert your Member’s Twitter handle] please support at least $44.7 B for @NIH and at least $6.9 B for @theNCI in FY2021 appropriations so we can continue progress against cancer and other diseases. #FundNIH #FundNCI. #HillDayAtHome
- Happy to join @AACR and @AACI_Cancer #HillDayAtHome! [Insert your Member’s Twitter handle] please continue supporting cancer research and invest at least $44.7 B for @NIH and $6.9 B for @theNCI in FY2021. Cancer patients and researchers are counting on you. #FundNIH #FundNCI
Not sure where to find your Member’s Twitter handle? You can use this link: https://contactingcongress.org/
3) Post a message on Facebook and tag your Member of Congress. Here are some sample posts:
- COVID-19 has caused major disruptions to research labs and clinical trials across the country, jeopardizing advances against cancer and many other diseases. I join @AACR.org and @AACICancer in asking Congress to include at least $10 billion in supplemental funding for @NIH.gov in the next COVID-19 emergency legislation.
- Robust, sustained funding for medical research is critical to our quest to prevent and cure diseases including cancer. I’m asking [Tag your Member of Congress] to support at least $44.7 B (an increase of $3 B) for the @NIH.gov and at least $6.9 B for NCI (@cancer.gov) in FY 2021 so that we can continue to make much-needed progress.
Not sure how to tag your members of Congress on Facebook? Click here for a list: https://contactingcongress.org/