AACR Timeline—Focus on Knowledge Dissemination: 1916-1939
- The AACR launches The Journal of Cancer Research, the first English-language cancer journal, under the leadership of the Editorial Committee. Richard P. Weil is later named editor.
- AACR’s first Honorary member, Katsusaboro Yamagiwa, is named. (In 2013, the AACR Fellows program replaces Honorary membership.)
- The first Annual Meeting symposium is held: “The Present Status of Surgery and Radiation in the Treatment of Cancer.”
- The first published AACR Presidential Address appears in The Journal of Cancer Research: Wilhelm Meyer, “Some Notes on Cancer: With Special Reference to the Parasitic Theory.”
- In January, the first issue of The American Journal of Cancer, which replaces The Journal of Cancer Research, is published. Francis Carter Wood, the editor of The Journal of Cancer Research, continues as editor of the new journal.
- The AACR appoints its first Annual Meeting Program Committee: Chairperson James B. Murphy, Fred W. Stewart, and William H. Woglom. This marks the start of a tradition of appointing distinguished scientists as chairs of program committees.
- Regional sections are established in Minnesota and Western New York.
- The Annual Meeting is extended to two days, April 5-6.