Scholar-in-Training Awards: Annual Meeting
Scholar-in-training awards: Annual Meeting
Since its inception in 1986, the AACR Annual Meeting Scholar-in-Training Award program has provided over 5,000 grants to young investigators and has received support from 67 cancer research foundations, corporations, individuals, and other organizations dedicated to the fight against cancer.
Scholar-in-Training Awards are highly competitive and recognize outstanding young investigators presenting meritorious proffered papers at the AACR Annual Meeting. Scholar-in-Training Award funds are to support attendance at the Annual Meeting.
Applicants will be asked to submit:
- The title, body and control number of the abstract submitted to the AACR Annual Meeting via the online abstract submission process.
- A CV (including a list of publications).
- A personal statement that describes that describes their research areas and interests, reasons for attending this conference, and long-term career aspirations.
*Please note that Scholar-in-Training Awards are not available for late-breaking abstracts.Application Opening on September 29, 2023
- Applications will open on September 29, 2023.
- Applications close on November 16, 2023.
- Applicants must apply through myAACR; the application will be listed under the “Applications/Awards” tab.
- Please note that the Scholar-in-Training application requires the abstract control number created when applicants initiate an online abstract submission for the AACR Annual Meeting. Please have this number available when you begin your application.
- To be considered for the award, all sections of the application must be completed and submitted by the deadline.
- Applicants must be the first author and presenter of an abstract submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting.
- Applicants must be an Associate Member of the AACR in good standing (membership current through 2023). Nonmember graduate students, medical students and residents, clinical fellows or equivalent, and postdoctoral fellows who wish to apply for a Scholar-in-Training Award should submit a Membership Application Form by Nov. 10, 2023 in order to obtain membership in time to then submit an application for a Scholar-in-Training Award.
- Applicants cannot be employees or subcontractors of for-profit private industries.
- Applicants may apply for other travel awards but may only receive one award from the AACR to attend the Annual Meeting.
- We encourage applications from all areas of cancer research. Scholar-in-Training Awards funded by certain supporters are restricted to certain types of cancer research.
- Previous Annual Meeting’s Scholar-in-Training Award supporters are listed at the bottom of this page.
Conditions and logistics
- The Scholar-in-Training Awards are to be used to offset a portion of the registration, travel and subsistence expenses incurred to attend the AACR Annual Meeting.
- Awardees will participate in a welcome reception at the start of the Annual Meeting.
- Award recipients will make their own travel arrangements.
- Awardees are required to present in-person. No remote presentation will be allowed.
- If an awardee is unable to attend the Annual Meeting, the award must be forfeited. An awardee who cancels their participation in the Annual Meeting is financially responsible for any costs incurred.
SELECTION OF AWARD RECIPIENTS
- Recipients of this merit-based award will be selected based on the quality of their personal statement; CV; their overall eligibility, accomplishments and importance of this award in benefiting their career.
- Award recipients will be notified by email in January 2024.
The AACR gratefully acknowledges the supporters who enabled us to provide 149 Scholar-in-Training Awards for the AACR Annual Meeting 2023.
- American Brain Tumor Association
- Breast Cancer Research Foundation in Memory of Rebecca Scheinkman
- Bristol Myers Squibb
- Daiichi Sankyo
- Doreen J. Putrah Cancer Research Foundation
- The Estate of Dr. June L. Biedler
- Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
- The Margaret Foti Foundation
- The Pezcoller Foundation
- Prostate Cancer Foundation
- Sygnature Discovery in Association with the CICR Working Group
If you have any questions related to Scholar-in-Training Awards for the Annual Meeting, please email us at [email protected].