AACR-Undergraduate Scholar Awards
The American Association for Cancer Research is pleased to offer Science Education Awards for Undergraduate Students for participation in two consecutive AACR Annual Meetings. Available to full-time, third-year undergraduate students majoring in science, the purpose of these awards is to inspire promising science students to enter the field of cancer research. A separate application form is required.
The purposes of these two-year awards are intended to inspire young science students to enter the field of cancer research and provide a unique educational opportunity for these students in the development of their careers in science.
These two-year awards are intended to inspire young science students to enter the field of cancer research and provide a unique educational opportunity for these students in the development of their careers in science. Formerly named the Thomas J. Bardos Science Education Awards for Undergraduate Students, these awards were established in 1997 by Dr. Thomas J. Bardos, fueled by his passion for mentorship and generosity in supporting young researchers.
The following financial support will be provided to awardees:
- A waiver of registration fees for participation in two consecutive AACR Annual Meetings (the AACR Annual Meeting 2021, April 9-14, 2021, in Washington, DC; and the AACR Annual Meeting 2022, April 8-13, 2022, in New Orleans, LA).
- Stipend each year for expenses incurred in connection with attendance at each annual meeting. (Remaining money can also be applied toward related school projects and events throughout the year.) The award must be forfeited if an awardee is unable to attend an annual meeting.
- According to IRS regulations, the award is subject to federal income tax. A 1099 misc tax form will be issued to all awardees at year-end for the amount of the award.
- Candidates must be members of the American Association for Cancer Research;
- Candidates must be full-time, third-year undergraduate students majoring in science. Applications from students who are not yet committed to cancer research are welcome;
- Candidates may be traveling from within the United States or abroad. There are no citizenship or residency requirements for this award.
- Awardees are required to participate in two consecutive AACR Annual Meetings.
- Awardees must attend scientific sessions at each meeting for a minimum of four days.
- Awardees are required to submit two annual reports each year commenting on the sessions they attended at each of the two annual meetings, as well as on the other activities they are pursuing.
Undergraduate Scholar awards are available to full-time, third-year undergraduate students for participation in two consecutive AACR Annual Meetings: AACR Annual Meeting 2021 and the AACR Annual Meeting 2022. Online award applications are now open.
How to Apply
Complete the onine application by logging into myAACR and include the required application materials. Complete applications must be submitted on or before the application deadline (Thursday, November 19, 2020.). Please note that changes have recently been made to myAACR. Please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org with any log-in issues.
Required Application Materials:
- Online Application. Provide all information requested. The applicant must list at least one mentor in a faculty capacity (i.e. department head, advisor, etc.) at their institution who could certify the information in the application upon request.
- Personal statement written by the candidate (no longer than one page in length) describing the benefit he/she expects to derive from attending the conference and the reasons for the candidate’s interest in the conference.
- Two letters of reference from faculty members from the applicant’s institution or an institution that the applicant has attended. The letters should be addressed to the Undergraduate Scholar Awards Committee, and should comment on the applicant’s academic and personal qualifications for this award. Letters of recommendation should always be on letterhead with visible signatures.
- A copy of the abstract submitted for presentation at the meeting (if applicable). Candidates must indicate the temporary abstract number.
- Curriculum vitae or resume.
AACR Membership Department
Email: [email protected]