AACR Academy Mission Statement and Purposes
The mission of the AACR Academy is to recognize and honor distinguished scientists whose major scientific contributions have propelled significant innovation and progress against cancer, and to leverage the expertise of the global brain trust of Fellows of the AACR Academy to advance the mission of the AACR to prevent and cure all cancers through research, education, communication, collaboration, science policy and advocacy, and funding for cancer research.
The AACR Academy provides ongoing advice and counsel to the AACR leadership on scientific topics of timeliness and significance as well as other matters of importance.
Fellows of the AACR Academy are charged with:
- identifying scientific priorities that will contribute to the AACR’s programs and activities and thereby drive future progress in cancer research;
- influencing science and public policy and creating and/or signing letters addressed to members of the U.S. Congress and to the Administration regarding important scientific or policy issues as needed;
- advocating for increased federal funding for cancer research and cancer-related sciences;
- participating in special meetings to discuss how to accelerate advances in cancer research;
- mentoring the next generation of cancer scientists working in all research settings;
- assisting the AACR in educating the public about cancer, the importance of the AACR, and the value of cancer research to public health and the conquest of cancer.
Michael J. Powell, PhD
Office: (215) 440-9373
Email: [email protected]