Leading Cancer Groups to Host Congressional Briefing on Eliminating HPV-related Cancers
A congressional briefing titled “Let’s End HPV-related Cancers” will be presented by the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), Moffitt Cancer Center, and Biden Cancer Initiative, in partnership with American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN), American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), Association of American Cancer Institutes (AACI), Prevent Cancer Foundation, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, and the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC).
Cancers caused by human papillomavirus (HPV) represent a significant disease burden in the United States and globally. Over 33,000 HPV-related cancers are diagnosed annually in the U.S. alone. These include cervical, anal, vulvar, penile, vaginal, and head and neck cancers. Globally, 630,000 cases of HPV-related cancers are diagnosed each year.
This briefing will update the public on the current state of HPV-related cancers; advances in vaccination, screening, and treatment that have placed the elimination of these cancers within reach; and what needs to be done to achieve this goal. Speakers represent a diverse range of expertise in domestic and global health and include academic researchers, government officials, and a patient advocate who will share his experience with stage 4 HPV-related throat cancer.
Thursday, June 27
12-1:30 p.m. ET
Room 2044, Rayburn House Office Building
*Live streaming is available for reporters interested in covering remotely. Please RSVP to receive the link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lets-end-hpv-related-cancers-a-congressional-briefing-tickets-63564784983
Honorary Congressional Co-Chair:
- The Honorable Kathy Castor, U.S. Representative for the 14th District of Florida
- Gilbert S. Omenn, MD, PhD, Chairman, Health Policy Subcommittee, American Association for Cancer Research; Director, Center for Computational Medicine and Bioinformatics, University of Michigan
- Anna R. Giuliano, PhD, Founding Director, Center for Immunization and Infection Research in Cancer, Moffitt Cancer Center
- John T. Schiller, PhD, NIH Distinguished Investigator; Deputy Chief, Laboratory of Cellular Oncology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute
- Melinda Wharton, MD, MPH, Director, Immunization Services Division, National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Vicki Benard, PhD, Chief, Cancer Surveillance Branch, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Julie S. Torode, PhD, Director of Special Projects, Union for International Cancer Control
- Jason T. Mendelsohn, Patient Advocate and Survivor, SupermanHPV.com
To schedule an interview with any of the speakers, please contact Julia Gunther at email@example.com or 215-446-6896.
The organizers appreciate the support from Rep. Castor for this congressional briefing.