AACR Annual Meeting Embargo Policy
Last updated April 13, 2020
On March 10, 2020, after careful consideration and comprehensive evaluation of available information related to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the Board of Directors of the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) made the decision to terminate the AACR Annual Meeting 2020, originally scheduled for April 24-29 in San Diego, California.
Following this decision, the AACR announced two Virtual Annual Meetings:
- April 27-28, 2020: AACR Virtual Annual Meeting I. This Virtual Meeting will feature a selection of high-impact proffered paper presentations. The program will include a number of clinical trial plenary sessions; clinical trial poster sessions; several minisymposia; and three New Drugs on the Horizon symposia that include first disclosures of innovative small molecules and biologics that have recently entered phase I clinical trials. Access to AACR Virtual Annual Meeting I will be made freely available. The abstracts of these proffered paper presentations will be posted online at 12:01 a.m. EDT on Monday, April 27, 2020.
Additionally, information specifically related to the COVID-19 and Cancer plenary session is embargoed until the time of the presentation, April 28 at 9:00 a.m. ET.
- June 22-24, 2020: AACR Virtual Annual Meeting II. The second Virtual Annual Meeting will present thousands of proffered papers in minisymposia and in an e-poster platform. This meeting will also include an exciting Opening Plenary Session; the Presidential Address; the Presidential Select Symposium on precision pediatric cancer medicine; scientific merit and distinguished public service award lectures from individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to the cancer field; and a comprehensive educational program featuring about 70 educational sessions and methods workshops. Abstracts of the proffered paper presentations presented in this Virtual Meeting will be posted online at 12:01 a.m. EDT on Friday, May 15.
Please read the following information closely. You may contact Julia Gunther at [email protected] with additional questions about the AACR’s embargo policy.
Important Dates and Times
Abstracts will be posted to the online itinerary planner at the time embargoes lift:
- Titles (NO DATA) for abstracts included in Virtual Annual Meeting I will be posted online and lift embargo at 4:30 p.m. EDT, Monday, April 13, 2020.
- Full text for abstracts included in Virtual Annual Meeting I will be posted online and lift embargo at 12:01 a.m. EDT, Monday, April 27, 2020.
- Titles and full text for most abstracts included in Virtual Annual Meeting II will be posted online and lift embargo at 12:01 a.m. EDT, Friday, May 15, 2020.
- Full text for a small number of abstracts included in the clinical plenary session at the Virtual Annual Meeting II will be posted online and lift embargo at 12:01 am EDT, Monday, June 22, 2020.
Outside Press Releases
Public information officers or public relations firms representing academia or industry with abstracts in the meeting can issue press releases on information that is publicly available via the AACR’s online itinerary planner.
For Virtual Annual Meeting I abstracts:
Curtain-raiser press releases featuring ONLY the abstract title, presenter, and presentation details may be issued at 4:30 p.m. EDT, Monday, April 13, 2020. No data may be included in these announcements.
Data press releases may be issued at 12:01 a.m. EDT, Monday, April 27, 2020, when abstracts are posted online. In a change from previous years, you may include all data from your presentation and not just the data in the abstract. Please note that this exception to the AACR’s typical embargo policy will be made for the AACR Virtual Annual Meeting I only.
For Virtual Annual Meeting II abstracts:
Because abstract titles will not be published before the abstract bodies, curtain-raiser press releases are not permitted.
Data press releases may be issued at 12:01 a.m. EDT, Friday, May 15, 2020. These releases may include data in the abstract only. Additional or updated information that will be presented at the meeting but is not in the abstract is embargoed until the date and time of presentation at the AACR Virtual Annual Meeting II.
Please note: A small number of abstracts included in the clinical plenary session at the Virtual Annual Meeting II will be posted online and lift embargo at 12:01 am EDT, Monday, June 22, 2020. Presenters of these abstracts have been informed of the later embargo date.
Embargo Violations: Presenters and Public Relations
Presenters, their companies/institutions, and affiliated public relations representatives who break the AACR’s embargo policy as outlined above could jeopardize an abstract’s placement in the scientific program and press events.
Embargo Violations: Media
Individuals registered as press for the Virtual Annual Meetings agree to abide by all embargoes. In advance of the meetings, the AACR may provide abstracts, press releases, and other materials under embargo to facilitate accurate and comprehensive reporting. Failure to abide by the AACR’s embargoes may result in removal from AACR pre-embargo press lists and dismissal from current and future AACR meetings.