Stand Up To Cancer Canada Metastatic Breast Cancer Dream Team
The Stand Up To Cancer Canada Metastatic Breast Cancer Dream Team, supported by Canadian Cancer Society (CCS) and Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), represents a new, focused effort to implement advances in metastatic breast cancer research as rapidly as possible through the creation of a collaborative, translational, cancer research “Metastatic Breast Cancer Dream Team”. The most talented and promising researchers across Canadian institutions will be assembled into a pan-Canadian Dream Team, forming an optimal configuration of expertise needed to solve key problems in metastatic breast cancer and positively impact patients in the near future. This Metastatic Breast Cancer Dream Team will span multiple disciplines and utilize the new tools of modern biology to attack research questions in a coordinated way. Mechanisms to foster collaborations within the Dream Team will be employed - an approach that promotes the sharing of information and a goal-oriented focus on measurable milestones of progress. SU2C Canada, CCS and CIHR believe that this unique Metastatic Breast Cancer Dream Team model will advance scientific research in the interests of both today's cancer patients and those who may develop cancer in the future.
Total funds up to $6 million CAD are available from the funders; please see the Program Guidelines for further details. This grant offers funding for a 4-year research term, depending upon project requirements, and will be contingent on the SU2C Canada Scientific Advisory Committee (CSAC) and the Canada Metastatic Breast Cancer Subcommittee (CMBCS) finding that the funds are justified and that milestones and deliverables have been appropriately selected and are being satisfactorily pursued and achieved. The funds must be used for research at Canadian institutions.
This research funding opportunity is in support of one integrated and cohesive pan-Canadian Dream Team that will undertake Metastatic Breast Cancer research. The research should focus on critical problems in Metastatic Breast Cancer.
In particular, the applicants must:
- Focus on addressing critical problems of Metastatic Breast Cancer (see Program Guidelines for details).
- Present a plan for how the Dream Team's discoveries can be translated into applications with clinical utility.
- Build a pan-Canadian program (includes Dream Team Leader, Co-leader and Principals from AT LEAST 3 different regions) which brings together interdisciplinary research groups to answer questions that will significantly advance the field of Metastatic Breast Cancer Research.
- Display integration, cohesion, and leveraged networking with respect to resource and data sharing mechanisms for existing and planned platforms, resources, and results.
- Present innovative approaches and integrate advances from other fields or technologies.
- Include training opportunities for the future generation of scientists and foster an entrepreneurial culture within the community.
- Address issues of importance to end-users, including patients, industry, health care administrators and oncology practice guideline panels.
Each Team will consist of a Dream Team Leader (DTL), a Dream Team Co-leader, and no more than four additional Dream Team Principals (DTP), a Project Manager as well as at least two promising Early Career Investigators and two Advocates. Dream Team Leader, Co-leader, and Principals must be from different institutions (with a minimum of three and maximum of 6 institutions) across 3 different regions of Canada.
For the full Dream Team Composition criteria, please refer to the full Program Guideline (PDF). Candidates with a question about the eligibility requirements are encouraged to contact AACR International-Canada at [email protected] prior to submitting the proposal.
The AACR International-Canada requires applicants to submit their Letter of Intent (LOI) via proposalCENTRAL by 12:00 p.m. (noon), Eastern Time on Friday, August 10, 2018 using the proposalCENTRAL website at https://proposalcentral.altum.com
Invited Full Proposals for the Stand Up To Cancer Canada Metastatic Breast Cancer Dream Team must be submitted by 12:00 pm Eastern Time on Friday, October 26, 2018 using the proposalCENTRAL website.
The LOI and the Full application must be submitted in English.
Candidates with a question about the application process are encouraged to contact AACR International-Canada at [email protected] or 647-794-4598 prior to submitting the proposal.